WSAS is the premier source of objective scientific and technological information on important issues, questions and problems to achieve informed public policy decisions in Washington State.
WSAS leads and serves Washington State by
- Responding to requests from the Governor, the State Legislature, and other state entities or private organizations for authoritative, independent scientific and technical advice to inform policy development and decision making in Washington State;
- Identifying emerging trends and needs that will have significant impact on our citizens’ future;
- Developing and sustaining a culture of scientific and technical excellence in Washington State through annual scientific symposia, public and K-12 education programs, and support for students in science and engineering;
- Organizing in-depth discussions about important issues confronting Washington State;
- Convening study committees and issuing objective reports that are funded by the government and non-governmental organizations; and
- Identifying and recruiting as Members the state’s most distinguished scientific and technical experts.
WSAS works with state government agencies, offices, and the legislature to provide expert scientific and engineering assessments to policymakers. WSAS convenes committees and panels of experts including Academy members and others to advise on scientific and engineering issues. Examples of types of services WSAS provides to policy makers:
- independent reviews of policy recommendations based on science
- RFP reviews
- independent reviews of consultant reports
- white papers
- science panel advising
If you have questions about any WSAS projects, please reach out to our Associate Program Officer:
Yasmeen Hussain | firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Mission: WSAS provides expert scientific and engineering assessments to inform public policy making and works to increase the impact of research in Washington State.